STATISTICAL ANALYSIS OF WHEEL DERAILMENT PROBABILITY BASED ON THE DERAILMENT COEFFICIENT
The probability of wheel climb commencing is calculated using Nadal's formula as a basis. In particular, the functional form of Nadal's formula is maintained with normal probability density functions used to describe the two arguments in Nadal's formula, namely contact plane angle and coefficient of friction at the contact point. The theoretical value of the probability of wheel climb commencing for a given lateral/vertical force ratio value at the wheel flange-railhead interface is then compared with experimental results for positive angles of attack, yielding good agreement for one contact plane angle. Theoretical results for negative angles of attack are generated for several cases.
Toronto-York University Joint Program in Transportation4700 Keele Street, Room 430 Osgoode Hall
Downsview, Ontario Canada M3J 1P3
- Cherchas, D B
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Coefficient of friction; Derailments; Flanges; Force; L/V ratio; Rail (Railroads); Rolling contact; Wheels
- Old TRIS Terms: Wheel flange forces; Wheelclimb
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00334695
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Research Rpt. 67
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 9 1981 12:00AM