WEAR PREDICTION FOR LOCOMOTIVE WHEELS
This paper presents a wear prediction methodology for locomotive wheels and a detailed analysis of wheel load changes induced by wear. These load changes, due to one or more worn wheels, are shown to be significant and deleterious to dynamic performance as well as altering the wear rates. Methods for calculating both the change in wheel profile due to wear and the consequent redistribution of loads are developed and illustrated with numerical examples.
- Contributed by the Rail Transportation Division of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers for presentation at the Joint ASME/IEEE Railroad Conference, April 28-30, 1981.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersThree Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- Ross, F D
- Torby, B J
- Publication Date: 1981-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Abrasions; Adhesion; Durability; Fatigue (Mechanics); Life cycle analysis; Locomotives; Preventive maintenance; Tribology; Vehicle maintenance; Wear; Wheel loads; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fatigue life
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive maintenance; Wheel life
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00334691
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: 81-RT-8 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 9 1981 12:00AM