PERFORMANCE GUIDELINES--HIGH-PERFORMANCE/HIGH-CUBE COVERED HOPPER CAR
This Guideline describes the areas of desired improvement in 100-ton, high-cube, covered car performance and sets goals to stimulate the design of improved covered hopper cars. Cars must improve upon the dynamic characteristics and life-cycle costs of existing covered hopper cars by reducing wear and tear on roadbed and by reducing derailment tendencies. TTD has organized a development program to design, build and test prototype cars to this Guideline.
Chicago, IL United States 60616
- MANOS, W P
- Johnstone, B
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Covered hopper cars; Derailments; Design; Freight cars; High capacity cars; Life cycle costing; Prevention; Prototypes; Steering; Vehicle design; Vehicle dynamics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Lateral stability
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car design; Freight car dynamics; High cube cars
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Finance; Railroads; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00334471
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR R-423 Tech Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 12 1981 12:00AM