COMPUTER-AIDED PRELIMINARY SHIP STRUCTURAL DESIGN
Undoubtedly, ship structural design and analysis is an area that is receiving some benefits from the rapid advances of computer technology. In this report, an evaluation is made of the current trends in computer-aided structural design systems and their possible impact on the preliminary structural design of ships. The survey and evaluation covers marine software systems as well as non-marine systems such as those used in the aerospace industry and civil engineering structures. The elements of an "ideal" program suitable for the preliminary structural design of ships are identified and used in the evaluation of available software. Suitable programs are then selected for the various typical aspects of ship preliminary structural design. An assessment of the potential technical and economic benefits that might accrue from using a computer-aided design system is made. A recommendation is is also made for the development of a software system with its various components described in detail. An extensive list of existing programs is appended to this report.
Mansour Engineering, Incorporated2150 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA United States 94704
United States Coast GuardOffice of Merchant Marine Safety
Washington, DC United States 20590
Ship Structure CommitteeNational Academy of Science, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20418
- Mansour, A E
- Thayamballi, A
- Publication Date: 1981
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 126 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer aided design; Computer graphics; Computer programs; Design; Finite element method; Microprocessors; Shipbuilding; Structural analysis; Structural design
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Interactive graphics; Ship design
- Old TRIS Terms: Computer programs (Structural analysis); Microprocessor applications
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00334345
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-302 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM