SUMMARY OF NONDESTRUCTIVE INSPECTION STANDARDS FOR HEAVY SECTION CASTINGS, FORGINGS, AND WELDMENTS
Code bodies, notably ASTM, have produced procedural guides, standard methods, and recommended practices which can be used to assure proper inspection for the various methods of nondestructive testing. These guides and practices in private industry have been reviewed for their applicability to quality control of heavy steel castings, forgings, and weldments. Acceptance criteria are not set forth, and recommendations are not suggested. They do, however, define levels of quality and describe the parameters generally agreed to be of significance which should be a part of the contractural agreement. The user must quantify these parameters according to service requirements and other considerations.
Naval Surface Weapons CenterWhite Oak Laboratory
Silver Spring, MD United States 20910
United States Coast GuardOffice of Merchant Marine Safety
Washington, DC United States 20590
Ship Structure CommitteeNational Academy of Science, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20418
- Youshaw, R A
- Publication Date: 1981
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Forging; Inspection; Nondestructive tests; Radiography; Standards; Ultrasonic tests; Welds
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Old TRIS Terms: Standards (Nondestructive testing); Weld discontinuity; Weld inspection
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00334343
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-300 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NAVYZ 70099-6-71375
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM