THE FEASIBILITY OF X-RAY INSPECTION OF WELDS USING BACK SCATTERED RADIATION
Theoretical and experimental work was conducted to develop a radiographic flaw detection technique using source and film located on the same side of the plate. In view of a serious limitation on the depth at which discontinuities in steel can be detected (0.20 in.) and long exposure time (20 min. at 250 kv), the method is considered to be unsatisfactory as a critical inspection tool.
Naval Ordnance LaboratoryIndian Head, MD United States 20640
Ship Structure CommitteeNational Academy of Science, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20418
- Criscuolo, E L
- Dyer, C H
- Case, D P
- Publication Date: 1961-7-28
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Flaw detection; Inspection; Nondestructive tests; Radiography; Tests; Welds; X rays
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Old TRIS Terms: Weld inspection; X-ray tests
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00331920
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC-132 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM