THE SYSTEM OF RAILROAD AND MOTOR VEHICLE CONTAINER TRAFFIC AND ITS FUTURE DEVELOPMENT
SISTEMA PEREVOZOK KONTEINEROV V ZHELEZNODOROZHNOM I AUTOMOBIL'NOM SOOBSCHENIYAKH I PERSPEKTIVY IKH RAZVITIYA
This paper prepared by TsNII (the All-Union Order of the Red Banner of Labor Scientific Railway Research Institute) presents general information on container traffic in the USSR. Topics covered include container designs, dimensions, and capacities, as well as container-handling techniques used by Soviet railroads. The paper states that containerization presently accounts for 70 percent of all less-than-carload freight shipments in the USSR and claims that this proportion could be increased to as much as 90 percent.
- Unpublished paper prepared for the Federal Railroad Administration. Abstract only available in English. Original document, untranslated as of March 1981, can be seen for reference purposes. (Contact Technology Planning Officer at FRA/OR & D)
USSR Ministry of RailwaysNovo-Basmannaya, Ulitsa 2
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Container handling; Containerization; Containers; Design; Intermodal transportation; Less than carload traffic
- Old TRIS Terms: Container design; Less carload traffic
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00331887
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 9 1981 12:00AM