MANUAL OF ENGINEERING PROCEDURES FOR FRACTURE-SAFE DESIGN
The Manual explains the engineering procedures for fracture-safe design, as applied to the guidelines system. Particular emphasis is given to aspects that involve the practical use of fracture mechanics principles. Methods for evolving practical solutions in fracture-safe design are explained. The discussions are intended to meet the information needs of design-specialist and general-interest audiences. The methods are based on procedures that are defined as design-by-analysis. The designer is not directed to achieve predefined solutions. He is provided the flexibility to independently evolve practical and economic solutions to specific problems. It is emphasized that the design procedures are not new or unique. The methods are validated by extensive service experience for a wide variety of structures. Thus, applications can be made with confidence, derived from general engineering experience.
Chicago, IL USA 60616
- Pellini, W S
- Publication Date: 1980-11
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 98 p.
- TRT Terms: Casting; Costs; Design; Fatigue (Mechanics); Flaw detection; Forging; Fracture mechanics; Fracture properties; High strength steel; Performance based specifications; Quality control; Steel; Structural analysis; Structural mechanics; Welding
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Performance specifications
- Subject Areas: Design; Finance; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00331480
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR R-451 Res Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 9 1981 12:00AM