A STUDY TO DEVELOP POLICY RECOMMENDATIONS DESIGNED TO UPGRADE INTERCITY BUS--SERVICE IN MASSACHUSETTS
This report addresses the problems incurred by the 28 private intercity bus lines operating in Massachusetts that provide scheduled services which are accessible to about 80% of the state's residents. The intrastate carriers are caught in a cost-price squeeze; because they are unable to work their way out of their intrastate markets, and the regulatory mechanism does not allow them to raise their fares as fast as coats are driven up by inflation--which results in their inability to replace buses as they become obsolete. Specific steps at the disposal of the State to assist the marketing of intercity bus service include: publication of a combined timetable covering all intercity bus and commuter rail service in the state; completion of the design and construction phases of the new combined intercity bus terminal proposed for the South Station complex; exemption of intercity buses from payment of tolls on turnpikes, bridges, and tunnels; participation by the stateman annual joint bus purchasing program to provide centralized purchasing of all Massachusetts based carriers' requirements for new buses at favorable interest rates; and provision of additional park-and-rude facilities at points where intercity bus routes enter Interstate highways to begin their express run to Boston.
Tramco, Incorporated101 Blanchard Road
Cambridge, MA United States 02138
- Publication Date: 1980-4
- Features: Tables;
- Pagination: 233 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; Buses; Costs; Express buses; Fares; Intercity bus lines; Marketing; Markets; Public transit; Railroad commuter service; Tolls; Transportation operations; Transportation policy
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Highways; Motor Carriers; Policy; Public Transportation; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00331368
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 15 1981 12:00AM