NOTES ON THE INFLUENCE OF UNFAIR PLATING ON SHIP FAILURES BY BRITTLE FRACTURE
It was found that the unfairness of bottom or deck plating does not raise the tensile stresses to any significant degree. As any influence of unfairness on the danger of brittle fracture could be only through an increase of the tensile stresses, it is finally concluded that plating unfairness per se has no significant bearing on the problem of brittle fracture.
Columbia University367 Franklin Avenue
New York, NY USA 11010
Ship Structure CommitteeNational Academy of Science, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20418
- Bleich, H H
- Publication Date: 1956-3-15
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 47 p.
- TRT Terms: Failure; Fracture mechanics; Hulls; Plating (Ships); Structural mechanics; Tension
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hull plating; Structural failures; Tensile stress
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00331298
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC- 96 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NObs-50148
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM