EVALUATION OF WELD-JOINT FLAWS AS INITIATING POINTS OF BRITTLE FRACTURE
A literature survey was made to determine the fundamental factors and circumstances that are known about brittle fractures in ship steels and similar materials. The survey was the initial part of this investigation for the Ship Structure Committee under Bureau of Ships contract 61748 on the evaluation of flaws in weld joints. Various testing methods and specimens used in previous investigations involving brittle fracture were reviewed. Preliminary studies were made to determine the best method of introducing flaws into weld joints to simulate the flaws found in service failures. A major portion of the effort on the project has been involved with determining: (a) what kind of test specimen and apparatus should be used to evaluate weld-joint flaws; (b) what kind of loading or types of loading are needed to simulate service conditions in ships or other large structures; and (c) what nominal stress is required to initiate a brittle fracture from large weld cracks and other flaws such as lack of weld fusion. A significant result has been that brittle fractures initiate from the weld defects in the laboratory specimen under conditions very close to the reported conditions involved in some service failures of ships.
Battelle Memorial Institute505 King Avenue
Columbus, OH United States 43201
Ship Structure CommitteeNational Academy of Science, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20418
- Martin, D C
- Ryan, R S
- Rieppel, P J
- Publication Date: 1956-9-4
- Pagination: 88 p.
- TRT Terms: Cracking; Defects; Fracture mechanics; Joints (Engineering); Shipbuilding steel; Welds
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Crack initiation; Weld defects; Welded joints
- Old TRIS Terms: Ship steels
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00331288
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC- 86 Prog Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NObs-61748
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM