BACKGROUND DOCUMENTATION FOR THE SAFETY CAMPAIGN "DOMINANT TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS OUTSIDE BUILT-UP AREAS 1979". THEME: "KEEP AT A DISTANCE"
ACHTERGROND-DOCUMENTATIE TEN BEHOEVE VAN DE ACTIE "DOMINANTE VERKEERSONGEVALLEN BUITEN DE BEBOUWDE KOM 1979". THEMA: "AFSTAND HOUDEN"
The Dutch Organization for Traffic Safety has conducted a traffic safety campaign with the motto "Keep at a distance" which was aimed at holiday and recreational traffic. Subjects such as overtaking, the drinking of alcohol and the use of safety belts are considered, but the main emphasis is laid on the insufficient keeping of distance between the vehicles. It is shown from accident data that more accidents occur on the left traffic lane than on the right traffic lane, due to not keeping sufficient distance. The driver knows that he needs time to react. He has no idea, however, how long is the distance travelled in that reaction time. (TRRL)
VEILIG VERKEER NEDERLANDPO BOX 423
HUIZEN, Netherlands 1270 AK
- Leijns, R C
- Meiland, E
- Kleinnd, E
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Braking; Drivers; Left turn lanes; Motor reactions; Publicity; Reaction time; Recreational roads; Safety; Spacing; Speed; Stopping distances; Time; Traffic lanes; Traffic safety education; Vehicle safety; Vehicle spacing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Driver reaction
- Old TRIS Terms: Left lane; Vehicular safety
- ITRD Terms: 1874: Braking; 8573: Publicity; 2247: Reaction (human); 1665: Safety; 5408: Speed; 5414: Time; 2827: Traffic lane; 694: Vehicle spacing
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor;
- Accession Number: 00331167
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Institute for Road Safety Research, SWOV
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monograph
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 15 1981 12:00AM