PROCEEDINGS: WORKSHOP ON COAL TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH
This workshop presented previous and current EPRI transportation research to the utility industry and others. The proceedings consist of summaries of three presentations, a general discussion, and research recommendations. Previous transportation research at EPRI was discussed, including Coal Transportation Capability of Existing Rail and Barge Network, 1985 and Beyond (RP437); Cost Models for Coal Transportation by Common Carrier (RP866); Domestic Oil and Gas Supply, Implications for Electricity Demand (RP944); and Fuel Transportation Analysis (RP952). Current work was described in two presentations discussing separate contracts under Transportation Network Changes and Their Effect on Energy Supply (RP1219). The consensus of this discussion was that additional research must be done to better understand the economics of coal transportation. Finally, a list of research recommendations was compiled that included projects to improve definition of rail and waterway capacity, analyze railroad cost and ratemaking procedures, develop information concerning alternative technologies such as the coal slurry pipeline, analyze impacts of legislation, and improve methodologies.
- From Workshop on Coal Transportation Research; Palo Alto, California, January 31, 1980.
Russian Hill AssociatesSan Francisco, CA United States
- Riley, R E
- Publication Date: 1980-9
- Pagination: 54 p.
- TRT Terms: Barge operations; Barges; Coal; Coal industry; Coal pipelines; Costs; Economics; Freight traffic; Inland waterways; Rate making; Slurry pipelines; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Barge transportation
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00331092
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Energy Research Abstracts
- Report/Paper Numbers: CONF-800150
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 12 1981 12:00AM