FEASIBILITY STUDY FOR A DOWNTOWN MULTI-MODAL TRANSPORTATION CENTER
This report summarizes a feasibility study for a downtown multimodal ground transportation center (GTC) in Beaumont, Texas. The purpose of the study was to (1) determine the level of demand for a transportation center, which would serve as a transfer facility for Beaumont Municipal Transit (BMT) buses; (2) identify other potential terminal users (intercity bus carriers, taxis, rental car outlets, etc.); (3) assess the potential for joint development; and (4) prepare a plan for the most appropriate type of facility. Stimulation of private investment is a major criterion for federal funding of such a facility. After space requirements for identified users were determined, potential sites were selected and functional layouts of the center were prepared. Alternative sites and configurations were presented to representatives of the City, BMT and the South East Texas Regional Planning Commission. Upon evaluation of the alternatives, it was determined that, in the short-range, a downtown multimodal transportation center with other joint uses was unlikely to qualify for federal funding due to the absence of real downtown private investment interest or substantial new employment resulting from such a project. Therefore, final functional layouts were prepared for both an on-street transfer facility for BMT and a joint development, multimodal transportation center which might become feasible in the future. In this way, the City will be prepared, when the opportunity presents itself, to move quickly into the implementation process with the multimodal transportation center. In the meantime, interim improvements to the existing on-street facility can be made. This report summarizes the findings and conclusions and recommendations of the feasibility study.
- Prepared for South East Texas Regional Planning Commission.
Barton-Aschman Associates, IncorporatedTwo Allen Center
Houston, TX USA
- Publication Date: 1980-11
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Feasibility analysis; Ground transportation; Intermodal terminals; Multimodal transportation; Needs assessment; Public transit; Socioeconomic factors
- Uncontrolled Terms: User needs
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Public Transportation; Society; Terminals and Facilities; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00331087
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Sum Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 28 1981 12:00AM