Stanwell Park Viaduct arch strengthing and refurbishment

Stanwell Park Viaduct is located on the Illawarra Line 56.8Km south of Sydney. The Viaduct was constructed as part of the Stanwell Park deviation between 1916 - 1920. Stanwell Park Viaduct is the highest of all brick viaducts in NSW. It is on the Industrial Sites List of the National Trust of Australia and on the reported list of the Australian Heritage Commission and hence must be preserved in its original appearance. The Viaduct is built on a 240m radius curve and a one in eighty grade falling towards the south. It consists of 8 semicircular arches 13m in diameter, has an overall length of 145m and a maximum height of 45m. The brick skin construction has a concrete backing which forms the base of the track bed. Above this, rubble fill has been laid on which the track ballast lies. The seven piers are of solid brick construction and are wedge shape in plan. The Viaduct has suffered damage believed to be due to mining subsidence, which resulted in the replacement of arch No. 6 with steel girders in 1985 and the strengthening of arch No. 4 using steel ribs in 1988. The spandrel walls were also propped with external steel strong backs and ties. The Viaduct forms an integral part of the Illawarra Line which services the Illawarra region for both freight and passenger services which had to be maintained. In order to fulfill these requirements, new and novel approaches to design and construction had to be developed for a successful project completion.

Media Info

  • Pagination: 9p. ; PDF
  • Monograph Title: Permanent Way Institution (PWI) NSW, 1993 annual convention

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 01711395
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: ARRB
  • Files: ATRI
  • Created Date: Jul 19 2019 2:23PM