WELDED REINFORCEMENT OF OPENINGS IN STRUCTURAL STEEL MEMBERS: ROOM AND LOW TEMPERATURE TESTS OF PLATES WITH REINFORCED OPENINGS
This report continues the work in which the investigation of various room temperature properties of selected types of arc-welded reinforcement for openings in plain-carbon structural steel plates loaded under uniform tension led to the conclusion that from the standpoint of performance the square opening with rounded corners having a 1-1/8-in. radius and the circular opening appeared to give the best properties. Since this investigation covered only the behavior of specimens at room temperature, the problem of their behavior in the more critical low temperature range was unknown. Moreover, it was desirable to parallel the previous tests of 36-in. by 1/4-in. plates with tests of 48-in. by 1/2-in. plates in order to use thicker plate which would have a higher transition temperature. This progress report includes tests of four specimens 36 in. by 1/4 in. and nine specimens 48 in. by 1/2 in. in cross-section, four of the former and four of the latter being tested at low temperatures. All specimens had a 9-in. by 9-in. square opening with rounded corners reinforced by a welded face bar, single doubler plate, or insert plate. The strength characteristics, the unit strain distribution and concentration in the vicinity of the opening, and the total energy absorption were studied for all specimens. The results of the low temperature tests were compared with those obtained in the room temperature tests. Another phase of this research investigated the distribution of unit strain energy and stress in the plastic range of the material.
University of Washington, SeattleSeattle, WA USA 98195
Ship Structure CommitteeNational Academy of Science, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20418
- Vasarhelyi, D
- Hechtman, R A
- Publication Date: 1953-6-30
- Pagination: 66 p.
- TRT Terms: Deformation curve; Low temperature; Low temperature materials; Openings; Plate bearing test; Plates (Engineering); Reinforcement (Engineering); Steel plates; Strain (Mechanics); Yield stress
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Strain energy
- Old TRIS Terms: Plate reinforcement; Reinforced openings
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00330999
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC- 55 Prog Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NObs-50238
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM