WELDED REINFORCEMENT OF OPENINGS IN STRUCTURAL STEEL MEMBERS: A DETERMINATION OF STRAIN ENERGY DISTRIBUTION AND TRUE STRESSES IN THE PLASTIC RANGE IN PLATES WITH OPENINGS
The research reported herein is a part of the investigation of welded reinforcement of openings in structural steel members. A previous report described the tests of 1/4-in. plates with and without welded reinforcement. The purpose of the tests covered by this report was to determine the unit strain energy and the true stress distribution in the plastic range of the material in a flat plate with a centrally located opening, which was square with rounded corners. Two such plates made from plain-carbon semi-killed structural steel were tested in tension, one at room temperature and the other at a temperature of minus 20 Deg. F. The octahedral theory was used to determine the unit strain energy distribution, while the true stresses were computed by a method developed in the course of the investigation. Both types of analyses utilized the experimental data of the tests as the basis of the computations. It was impossible to check the unit strain energy and true stress distributions directly, but when these were integrated in a specified manner, the total energy absorption and the load on cross-sections of the plate were obtained. These, when compared with the experimentally determined values of total energy absorption at different loads and with the testing machine load at the ultimate load gave reasonably good checks.
University of Washington, SeattleSeattle, WA USA 98195
Ship Structure CommitteeNational Academy of Science, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20418
- Vasarhelyi, D
- Hechtman, R A
- Publication Date: 1952-3-10
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Deformation curve; Plates (Engineering); Reinforcement (Engineering); Steel plates; Strain (Mechanics)
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Strain energy
- Old TRIS Terms: Plate reinforcement
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00330996
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC- 50 Prog Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NObs-50238
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM