WELDED REINFORCEMENT OF OPENINGS IN STRUCTURAL STEEL MEMBERS
The experimental investigation reported herein had as its purpose the determination of the effectiveness of four types of arc-welded reinforcement for openings in plain-carbon structural steel plates loaded under uniform tension. The opening was centrally located in each plate and had a width equal to one-fourth of the width of the plate. The effect of the opening and of the various types of reinforcement upon the load at yielding, the ultimate strength, the ductility, and the unit strain distribution in the vicinity of the opening was investigated and compared with similar observations for plates without openings. The test program covered in this report is the initial part of a larger program of tests. Included in the present report are tests at room temperature of two plain plates without openings, three plates with unreinforced openings, and eighteen plates with arc-welded reinforcement around the opening. Three types of welded reinforcement were investigated: face bars, single doubler plates, and insert plates. The plates without reinforcement and those with each type of reinforcement were fabricated with three different shapes of openings: circular, square with rounded corners, and square with sharp corners.
University of Washington, SeattleSeattle, WA USA 98195
Ship Structure CommitteeNational Academy of Science, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20418
- Vasarhelyi, D
- Hechtman, R A
- Publication Date: 1951-12-15
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 103 p.
- TRT Terms: Ductility tests; Energy absorption; Openings; Reinforcement (Engineering); Strain (Mechanics)
- Identifier Terms: Ship Structure Committee
- Uncontrolled Terms: Strain energy
- Old TRIS Terms: Ductility testing; Reinforced openings
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00330989
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Structure Committee
- Report/Paper Numbers: SSC- 39 Prog Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NObs-50238
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM