A NONLINEAR EFFECT IN MODE II CRACK PROBLEMS
A recent result of Stephenson shows that, when finite deformations are taken into account, a crack under Mode II loading conditions in plane strain will open at least near the crack-tip and at least for certain elastic materials. In this note, the matter is investigated further, and it is shown that, in general, nonlinear effects-even at small loads-lead either to crack-opening or apparent interpenetration of the crack-faces when the loading is of Model II-type.
California Institute of Technology1201 East California Street
Pasadena, CA USA 91125
Office of Naval ResearchDepartment of the Navy, 800 North Quincy Street
Arlington, VA USA 22217
- Knowles, J K
- Publication Date: 1981-1
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Cracking; Dislocation (Geology); Elastic deformation; Elasticity (Mechanics); Fracture mechanics
- Old TRIS Terms: Crack opening displacement; Elastostatics
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00330959
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 47 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N000-14-75-c-0196
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM