M.V. "ARCTIC" INSTRUMENTATION AND DATA COLLECTION SYSTEM FOR SHIP OPERATIONS IN ICE. SYSTEM OPERATING AND USER'S MANUAL. VOLUME I
The report provides a detailed description of an Instrumentation System which was installed in the motor vessel "Arctic" during the period July 1977 to July 1979. This sytem is designed to provide a record of the ship's operational experience when navigating in ice, both in terms of the prevailing environmental conditions and the ship's performance and response. The system includes an array of strain gauges permanently attached to the ship's hull at the bow and amidships. Signals in analog form are relayed from these gauges and other special sensors to the CPU, then recorded in digital form on 9 track mag tape for subsequent analysis. Records of hull strains due to ice impact and frequency of impact, together with ship machinery parameters (such as shaft RPM, fuel rack setting, torque, thrust and propeller pitch) and ship speed, direction and motions are obtained with this system, in automatic, semi-automatic or fully supervised modes. The report contains complete user information for operating the system and for carrying out routine maintenance of the various elements.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/6250
- The Report consists of 2 Volumes. A Summary report is also available.
German & Milne, Inc., OttawaOntario, Canada
Transport Canada Research and Development Centre1000 Sherbrooke Street, West, P.O. Box 549
Montreal, Quebec H3A 2R3, Canada
- German, J G
- Publication Date: 1979-7
- Pagination: 104 p.
- TRT Terms: Cargo ships; Closed circuit television; Computers; Data collection; Hulls; Ice navigation; Icebreakers; Icebreaking; Information processing; Instrumentation; Machinery; Monitoring; Strain gages
- Geographic Terms: Canada
- Old TRIS Terms: Computer aided monitoring; Hull instrumentation; Hull monitoring; Ice operations; Instrumentation (Hull); Instrumentation (Machinery); Machinery instrumentation; Ss arctic
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00330522
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 6250
- Report/Paper Numbers: TP 2217 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: OST77-00048
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM