SPEEDS ON TWO-LANE RURAL ROADS: DATA COLLECTION
This report summarises the planning, testing and implementation stages of the data collection phase of Australian Road Research Board project 324 (speeds on two lane rural roads). In order to collect the required data for the project it was necessary to operate simultaneously four data collection stations along a road section of 6 to 8 km. At two of the stations a video tape recorder and a 16 mm Cine Camera were used to record the registration plate number and the passage time of each vehicle travelling in one lane. At one of these stations a radar speed meter was also operated to measure the speed of the observed vehicles. At a third station located midway between the first two stations traffic flows in the opposite lane, categorised by vehicle types, were recorded. At the last station, located at the down stream end of the road section, most drivers of the observed vehicles were interviewed. The instrumentation for the field study was based on existing ARRB equipment. Thus a combination of a cine camera and a video tape recorder were used instead of a radar camera. The instrumentation used was found to be successful but resulted in substantial additional work at the data extraction stage. Also, the field study was conducted without an adequate communication system. It is recommended that adequate wireless equipment and a radar camera be used in future field studies of this type. (Author/TRRL)
ARRB Group Ltd.Vermont South, Victoria Australia
- GALIN, D
- Publication Date: 1980-5
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic vehicle monitoring; Cameras; Data collection; Instrumentation; Radar; Rural highways; Traffic flow; Traffic speed; Two lane highways; Videotapes
- ITRD Terms: 8006: Australia; 652: Bunching; 8623: Data acquisition; 2755: Highway; 9147: Interview; 6136: Measurement; 9102: Method; 1822: Overtaking; 6751: Photography; 6738: Radar; 328: Rural area; 5408: Speed; 2827: Traffic lane; 9082: Two
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00330494
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- Report/Paper Numbers: AIR 324-2 Monograph
- Files: ITRD, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Jul 9 1981 12:00AM