RECREATIONAL EXTENSIONS TO ROAD NETWORKS-WHAT THE COMMUNITY CAN AFFORD
All available road funds should be marshalled and husbanded in order to derive the greatest benefit to the total community. This would need the re-classification of all roads on a benefit to the community basis, those roads of greatest benefit receiving the greatest share of the money. Having determined the allocation of funds the question of how to spend it becomes important. This leads to the need to determine standards which reflect the relative importance of the roads. A wider range and more sophisticated warrants are envisaged to more accurately reflect the type of use, the type of vehicle and the traffic volumes. With a fixed or near fixed budget level it would follow that increases in standards for one class of road would necessitate the reduction in standards of others. The general public would need to be educated to limit its expectations of standards for certain classes of roads. In this regard the notion of "design to achieve an objective" may be more easily understood and applied rather than a set of complicated warrants. If the objective in tight budgetary conditions is "the need to transport for economic gain", and only "hard" economic factors are taken into account, it would be very difficult to justify improvements in standards or network extensions for recreational purposes only. (TRRL)
- Papers from workshop on the Economics of Road Design Standards Canberra, May 18-20, 1980.
Bureau of Transport Economics, AustraliaAllara Street
Canberra City, A.C.T. 2601, Australia
- VROOMBOUT, F
- Publication Date: 1980-5
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefits; Economic factors; Financing; Networks; Recreation; Roads; Socioeconomic factors; Standards; Traffic volume; Workshops
- Uncontrolled Terms: Road networks
- ITRD Terms: 8525: Conference; 224: Cost; 2755: Highway; 9142: Recreation; 1053: Road network; 187: Specification (standard)
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Finance; Highways; Society;
- Accession Number: 00330372
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 9 1981 12:00AM