LIKELY EFFECTS ON CONSTRUCTION COST, SAFETY AND TRAFFIC VOLUME OF DIFFERENT PAVEMENT AND SHOULDER WIDTHS
Standard pavement and shoulder width for two lane undivided rural roads is suggested, based on consideration of construction cost, safety and traffic service volume. Cost data obtained from study sections of two completed road construction projects, one in flat country and one in rolling country were used to investigate the effect on construction cost of varying pavement and shoulder widths. Safety is considered by summarising the results of a literature survey. Service volumes are calculated for the study sections to indicate the relative efficiency of combinations of lane and shoulder width under traffic (A). (TRRL)
- Workshop on the Economics of Road Design Standards. Canberra 18-20 May 1980 Papers.
Bureau of Transport Economics, AustraliaAllara Street
Canberra City, A.C.T. 2601, Australia
- Eakins, D A
- Publication Date: 1980-5
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Conferences; Construction; Costs; Level of service; Paved shoulders; Pavements; Road construction; Road shoulders; Rural highways; Safety; Standards; Traffic lanes; Traffic safety; Traffic volume; Two lane highways; Width
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Pavement width
- ITRD Terms: 8525: Conference; 224: Cost; 2916: Hard shoulder; 653: Level of service; 2955: Pavement; 3665: Road construction; 1665: Safety; 187: Specification (standard); 2827: Traffic lane; 6479: Width
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Economics; Finance; Highways; Pavements; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; Society; I10: Economics and Administration; I21: Planning of Transport Infrastructure; I82: Accidents and Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00329682
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM