ECONOMIC ANALYSIS AND OPERATIONS RESEARCH TECHNIQUES IN THE SELECTION OF ROAD DESIGN PARAMETERS
One purpose of design standards is to serve as a substitute for the need for repeated selection of optimal design parameters. For many situations, this is a legitimate use of standards in road design and construction as in other fields of engineering. However, it is suggested that for certain major projects and in extreme conditions of terrain or climate it is highly desirable that the selection of important design parameters is assisted by economic analysis together with relevant operations research techniques. Several classes of design standards are considered and an optimisation methodology is set out for each class, noting the constraints and the decision context, the decision criterion and the decision rule. Some examples are given to illustrate the procedures, and their advantages and limitations are discussed (a). (TRRL)
- Workshop on the Economics of Road Design Standards, Canberra 18-20 May 1980 Papers.
Bureau of Transport Economics, AustraliaAllara Street
Canberra City, A.C.T. 2601, Australia
- Gooneratne, S
- Linard, K T
- Publication Date: 1980-5
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 49 p.
- TRT Terms: Administration; Benefit cost analysis; Climate; Conferences; Decision making; Design; Economic analysis; Economics; Evaluation and assessment; Highway design; Highway engineering; Highway operations; Layout; Methodology; Operations research; Optimization; Road construction; Standards; Terrain; Workshops
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Highway administration; Optimum
- ITRD Terms: 8525: Conference; 226: Cost benefit analysis; 2248: Decision process; 255: Economics; 9020: Evaluation (assessment); 2855: Highway design; 2885: Layout; 9102: Method; 9055: Operational research; 187: Specification (standard)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Design; Economics; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; I10: Economics and Administration; I21: Planning of Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00329644
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM