IMPACT OF DEMOGRAPHIC AND MIGRATION TRENDS ON FUTURE TRAVEL IN METROPOLITAN AREAS
Transportation investment policies for the 1980's will be based on the expected changes in travel demand. The magnitude of travel demand (number of trips, miles of travel), the location of demand (city, suburb, rural, northeast, south etc.) and the mode of travel (transit, auto, bicycle, etc.) depends upon population, households, household characteristics, employment location, energy supply, and the cost of travel and other factors. Economic, demographic, migration, energy use and transportation trends observed during the 1970's are identified. Projections of demographic factors and resulting transportation demands are made to the year 2000. Issues are identified which could affect DOT investment policies during the next decade. These issues include continued large population growth in areas having suburban densities, the difficulty of providing added highway capacity or efficient transit service in suburban locations, possibility of sporadic interruptions of gasoline supply, demand for housing in multi-unit structures exceeding supply and continued increases in the operating costs of public transit.
- Prepared in cooperation with Urban Inst., Washington, DC.
SG Associates, Incorporated4200 Daniels Avenue
Annandale, VA USA 22003
Asst Secretary for Policy & International Affairs400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Spielberg, F
- Andrle, S J
- Ernst, U
- Kemp, M
- Publication Date: 1980-12
- Pagination: 210 p.
- TRT Terms: Demand; Demographics; Economics; Forecasting; Government funding; Households; Metropolitan areas; Migration; Passengers; Policy; Population growth; Public transit; Regional transportation; Transportation planning; Travel budgets; Travel costs; Travel demand; Travel time; Urban areas; Urban development; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Government policies
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Finance; Highways; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00329168
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-P-30-81-01 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-90050
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 12 1982 12:00AM