LOW-PROFILE, LIGHT-WEIGHT INTERMODAL RAILCAR. VOLUME III: REQUIREMENTS DEFINITION
A major constraint limiting the growth of TOFC service in the Northeast has been one of railroad clearance restrictions along the Northeast Corridor. Presently, tunnel clearances at Washington, DC., Baltimore, and New York restrict TOFC train movements using standard TTX-type railcars loaded with standard sized highway trailers. The design of a low profile intermodal car would increase operating efficiency and expand the TOFC market for the railroads by improving the car's payload-to-weight ratio, reducing its aerodynamic drag, and eliminating the need for circuitous routings. Shippers could benefit from the new car through increased service, reduced drayage expenses, reduced transit times, and greater schedule reliability. Reductions in road congestion, road repair costs, air and noise pollution, combined with increases in employment and local tax contributions resulting from industrial growth would significantly serve the public interest. In response to these needs, the Congress directed the Federal Railroad Administration to sponsor the design, construction, and testing of a prototype intermodal railcar. This report documents the results of the project to develop the requirements definition for the design of the railcar, the primary output of which was a Preliminary Performance Specification.
- See also Volume 1, PB81-163385 and Volume 2, PB81-167934.
Kearney (A. T.), IncorporatedAlexandria, VA United States
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1981-2
- Pagination: 254 p.
- TRT Terms: Car clearances (Railroads); Container on flat car; Design; Equipment; Flat cars; Freight cars; Freight transportation; Intermodal services; Light vehicles; Market surveys; Performance based specifications; Piggyback transportation; Railroad cars; Railroad transportation; Specifications; Structural design; Surveying; Trailer on flat car; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Performance specifications
- Geographic Terms: Northeast Corridor; Northeastern United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Clearances; Equipment specifications; Freight car design; Low deck cars; Route surveys
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00329161
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-81/04.III Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-8075
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 12 1981 12:00AM