AUTOMOTIVE MAINTENANCE DATA BASE FOR MODEL YEARS 1976-1979. PART I
An update of the existing data base was developed to include life cycle maintenance costs of representative vehicles for the model years 1976-1979. Repair costs as a function of time are also developed for a passenger car in each of the compact, subcompact and mid-size body classes. In addition, a cost comparison of engine and transmission repairs is made for a typical domestic full size passenger car and representative imported passenger car over the projected vehicles' lifetime of 100,000 miles. This information will assist the Department of Transportation in evaluating automotive maintenance trends and the impact of technological advances and Federal regulations on vehicle maintenance requirements and costs. The data used in establishing repair frequencies for component parts was generated from all known available sources, considered to be applicable and from direct inputs of knowledgeable personnel in the industry. Repair costs were documented from published sources. Repair study of engines and transmissions indicates most should last the 100,000 mile vehicle lifetime. There are some indications, however, that imported L4 engines may not be as durable as domestic V8 engines. Cost of repair by body class shows the subcompact vehicles are 6% less costly to maintain than compacts and 21% less costly than mid-size over the 100,000 mile lifetime. Eighty percent of all repair costs occur after the fifth year of operation.
- See also Part 2, PB81-166126.
Chilton Company, IncorporatedOne Chilton Way
Philadelphia, PA USA 19089
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Milne, J A
- Eissler, H C
- Cantwell, C R
- Publication Date: 1980-12
- Pagination: 229 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Analysis; Automobiles; Compact automobiles; Costs; Data collection; Databases; Fabrication; Labor market; Life span; Maintenance; Maintenance management; Repairing; Service life; Standards; Tables (Data); Transmissions; Vehicle maintenance; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Maintenance costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines; Automobile makes; Maintenance standards; Repair costs; Shop maintenance
- Subject Areas: Design; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Society; Vehicles and Equipment; I96: Vehicle Operating Costs;
- Accession Number: 00329142
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-NHTSA-80-26IFinal Rpt., HS-805 565
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1515
- Files: HSL, NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 12 1982 12:00AM