AN EVALUATION OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS FOR PASSENGER CAR STEERING ASSEMBLIES, STANDARD 203 - IMPACT PROTECTION FOR THE DRIVER, STANDARD 204 - REARWARD COLUMN DISPLACEMENT
Energy absorbing steering columns were installed in passenger cars in response to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 203. The columns are designed to compress at a controlled rate, cushioning the impact of the driver's chest in frontal crashes. Standard 204 specifies requirements limiting the rearward displacement of the steering wheel toward the driver. The objectives of this Agency evaluation are to determine how many driver fatalities and injuries are prevented by Standards 203 and 204, to measure the actual cost of the standards, to assess cost effectiveness and to describe the actual crash performance of equipment installed in response to the standards. It was found that: (1) Standards 203 and 204 are cost-effective and have significantly reduced driver fatalities and injuries in frontal crashes; (2) standards 203 and 204 have added $10 to the lifetime cost of owning and operating a car; (3) energy absorbing steering assemblies have been partially successful in cushioning the driver; and (4) standard 204 has substantially reduced rearward displacement of the steering column in crashes.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Kahane, C J
- Publication Date: 1981-1
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 310 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Collisions; Cost effectiveness; Cushioning materials; Dislocation (Geology); Evaluation; Fatalities; Impact tests; Injuries; Passenger vehicles; Performance; Prevention; Protection; Safety; Safety engineering; Standards; Steering columns; Steering gears; Steering wheels; Testing
- Old TRIS Terms: Cushioning
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00329134
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Tech Rpt., HS-805 705
- Files: HSL, NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 12 1982 12:00AM