CRITERIA FOR REMOVING TRAFFIC SIGNALS, TECHNICAL REPORT
The report presents the results of a study to develop criteria that may be adopted as warrants for the removal of existing traffic control signals. The development of the signal removal criteria was based largely, as in a legal argument, on precedent. Those cases where positive impacts were realized by removing signals served to identify the criteria and conditions under which other signals should be removed. Likewise, cases involving negative impacts or unsuccessful removal attempts were reviewed to identify those conditions where signal removal should not be pursued. The methodology employed in this research was to compile the traffic signal removal experiences at over 200 intersections in 31 political entities, and to summarize and analyze this information to provide an objective base for the development of signal removal criteria. The decision process is designed to allow the traffic engineer to predict the expected impacts that will result from the removal of a traffic signal at a particular intersection. Knowing these probable impacts on intersection safety, traffic flow, energy consumption and costs, the traffic engineer can then make a sound decision concerning the removal of a signal. This volume documents the details of the signal removal criteria. A User's Guide is presented in another volume.
- Prepared in cooperation with Wagner-McGee Associates, Alexandria, VA.
JHK & Associates,
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Kay, J L
- Neudorff, L G
- Wagner, F A
- Publication Date: 1980-9
- Pagination: 156 p.
- TRT Terms: Decision making; Fuel consumption; Impacts; Intersections; Motor vehicles; Operating costs; Public opinion; Safety; Signal lights; Traffic control; Traffic flow; Traffic safety; Traffic signals; Warrants (Traffic control devices)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Criteria; Removal
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; Society; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00329125
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/RD-80/104 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-9524
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, ATRI, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 12 1981 12:00AM