ARTS II ENHANCEMENT DESIGN ALTERNATIVE STUDY
This report documents a study on an enchanced ARTS II, to be known as ARTS IIA. ARTS IIA will include the following features: beacon tracking, minimum safe altitude warning (MSAW), conflict alert, and training target generator (TTG). In addition, it will be compatible with various sensors and displays now under development, such as ASR-9, Direct Address Beacon System (DABS), and Tower Cab Digital Display (TCDD). The study considered the current capacity (memory and speed) of the ARTS II computer as well as the requirements for the near-term enhancements. Various computer configurations were investigated for cost, ease of system development, implementation, and installation. A recommendation is made that the current ARTS II computer be replaced with an LSI-2/40.
- Prepared in cooperation with SRI International, Menlo Park, CA.
COMSIS CorpMountain View, CA USA
Federal Aviation Administration800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC USA 20591
- Tashker, M
- Isberg, C
- SAVAGE, N
- Bell, M
- Publication Date: 1980-12
- Pagination: 89 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control; Airport operations; Automation; Aviation safety; Data displays; Data processing; Data processing equipment; Formatting; Input output devices; Life cycle costing; Mode S; Radar
- Uncontrolled Terms: Formats
- Old TRIS Terms: Airport radar systems; Alphanumeric displays; Discrete address beacon systems; Front end processors; Input output processing
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Finance; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00329115
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CASS-MV-80-02, FAA-RD-81-7
- Contract Numbers: DTFA-01-80-Y-10510
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 12 2003 12:00AM