AN UPDATE OF THE DISCRETE ADDRESS BEACON SYSTEM (DABS) ALTERNATIVES STUDY
This document is an update of an earlier 'Study of Alternative Beacon Based Surveillance and Data Link Systems.' It is based on the numerous studies, analyses, simulations, and flight tests conducted since the original study. The document uses the findings from that large body of work to summarize the rationale that led to the selection and continued development of DABS + ATARS + BCAS as the preferred approach to improving the surveillance, air-ground communications, and the collision avoidance functions of the ATC system and provide the basis for further improvements in the automation of the ATC system. Hypothetical scenarios heavily weighted in favor of the most competitive alternative, SAB + VHF D/L + ATARS, are presented as a basis for cost comparisons. DABS + ATARS + BCAS is shown to be the most cost effective approach.
- Update Rept. nos. MTR-6517-VOL-1, AD-776 676 and MTR-6517-VOL-2, AD-778 136.
MITRE CorporationBedford, MA United States
Federal Aviation Administration800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20591
- Kay, M E
- POZESKY, M T
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 141 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control; Aviation safety; Crash avoidance systems; Data communications; Mode S; Performance; Surveillance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Data links
- Old TRIS Terms: Discrete address beacon systems; Performance engineering
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00329112
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: M78-75, FAA-RD-78-121
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA78WA-4075
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 12 2003 12:00AM