TRAINS OF THE FUTURE
Considering Trains of the Future, it is evident the conventional passenger train will be replaced by the High Speed Train (HST) in logical development and to speeds of 125 mph. Within a decade the next generation development of Advanced Passenger Trains (APT), whether British APT, French Turbo, Canadian LRS, or American turbotrain, will handle the majority of high density inter-city runs in America and Europe at maximum speeds of 155 mph. Beyond that point the exotic systems will certainly become a part of the surface transportation picture, whether Mag-Lev, tube train, LIM or TACV. America has lagged behind in the mass movement of people by rail transportation. This will be reversed by the aggression indicated by certain American Industries and the Pueblo High Speed Test Center. A major breakthrough is: (1) A collection system for pick up of electricity at 300 mph; (2) The 50 KVAC-60 catenary system--(a) The locomotives designed for 50 KVAC-60; (3) The superconductive metal alloys.
- Thirty-Seventh Annual Proceedings of the Railway Fuel and Operating Officers Association, 1973.
Railway Fuel and Operating Officers Association10414 South Wood Street
Chicago, IL USA 60643
- Staeheli, G A
- Publication Date: 1973
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Diesel locomotives; High speed rail; Intelligent transportation systems; Linear induction motors; Magnetic levitation; Pneumatic conveyors; Tracked air cushion vehicles; Tubing; Turbotrains
- Identifier Terms: Metroliner (Express train)
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced passenger trains; Advanced systems; Aerotrains; Light rapid comfortable; Tube systems; Tube vehicles
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00054603
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 18 1974 12:00AM