TRANSPORTATION AND THE CITIES
The purposes of the seminar were two: first, to evaluate how far conclusions and recommendations adopted by the first seminar have been accepted by governments and implemented in practice and, in doing so, to learn what lessons have been learned; second, to provide opportunities for further intergovernmental exchange of information and experience related to comprehensive approaches to planning and to management of urban transportation. The seminar dealt with the following specific topics: (1) the changing role of transportation; (2) urban transportation, policies, and objectives; (3) institutional competence, legislation, financial, and other socioeconomic measures to guide transportation developments; (4) community relations and citizen involvement in urban transportation planning and programming; (5) planning measures to promote a balance among traffic and transportation modes with special regard for the human scale; and (6) urban transportation research policies, planning, and assessment of technology.
- Report on the Seminar (2nd) on the Role of Transportation in Urban Planning Development held in Washington, DC on June 13-19, 1976. Color illustrations reproduced in black and white.
National League of Cities1301 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20004
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1976
- Pagination: 83 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Central business districts; City planning; Institutional issues; Legal factors; Local government; Meetings; Mobility; Pedestrians; Policy; Public participation; Quality of life; Social values; Socioeconomic factors; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Transportation policy; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Central city; Government policies; Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Society; Transportation (General); I10: Economics and Administration; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00329024
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UMTA-DC-96-0007
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 21 1982 12:00AM