COGNITIVE ASPECTS OF TRANSIT USE IN AREAS OF HIGH AND LOW TRAVEL DENSITY
The report addresses several questions regarding the manner in which information on transit systems should be prepared and disseminated. The report is divided into six chapters, ranging in topics from the fundamental broad-based questions of how well urban residents understand their city and the transit system, to specific questions of what to include on a transit map. The report identifies the numerous steps a transit planner needs to consider in preparing a comprehensive information dissemination (marketing) program. In this report, the six studies of cognitive factors in mass transit use are reported, namely: (1) Interviewers posing as lost travelers gathered route information from fellow travelers; (2) Business establishments were telephoned and asked for route information/direction to their places of business; (3) Bus riders were surveyed to determine whether route names or route numbers were preferred; (4) Distance perception and "mental maps" of Chicago were studied in a sample of respondents; (5) Three varieties of transit route maps were tested for their utility to users; and (6) A literature survey of cognitive factors in transportation use was performed. All studies point out problems existing in the proper form and usage of transit route information by the public.
Chicago, IL United States 60607
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Soot, S
- Stenson, H H
- Publication Date: 1980-12
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Information dissemination; Information systems; Maps; Marketing; Needs assessment; Public relations; Public transit; Rapid transit; Surveys; Transportation planning; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: Chicago Transit Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Public information; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00329023
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IL-11-0028-81-1Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 21 1982 12:00AM