THE USER-SIDE SUBSIDY TAXI PROGRAM IN THE HARBOR AREA OF LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
The user-side subsidy, shared-ride taxi program operating in the Harbor Area of Los Angeles, California, known locally as Share-A-Ride, is one of eleven special transportation efforts for mobility-impaired persons that are financed by the State's Transportation Development Act, Intra-Community Services funds in Los Angeles County. Besides offering service for the elderly, handicapped, and low-income residents of the area (20 square miles), the objective of this program is to provide operating experience that will allow for a comparison of user-side and provider-side subsidy services. This report describes how the Harbor Area program operates, provides detailed operating data, and analyzes the results of the program. The study relied on available data and personal interviews. Data included monthly operating reports, a survey of participants, and a sampling of waybills and rider coupons used in January and August 1979. Monthly contact was maintained with both the administering and operating agencies.
- Record URL:
Crain and Associates120 Santo Margarita Avenue
Menlo Park, CA United States 94025
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Richard, B
- Publication Date: 1980-5
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Analysis; Costs; Demonstration projects; Grant aid; Level of service; Low income groups; Motor vehicles; Passenger transportation; Persons with disabilities; Ridesharing; State government; Subsidies; Taxicabs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Disadvantaged persons; Services
- Geographic Terms: Los Angeles (California)
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society; I10: Economics and Administration; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00329010
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0049-80-9Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1408
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 21 1982 12:00AM