HUMAN FACTORS REQUIREMENTS FOR REAL-TIME MOTORIST INFORMATION DISPLAYS. VOLUME 13. HUMAN FACTORS EVALUATION OF AUDIO AND MIXED MODAL VARIABLES
The document summarizes fifteen research studies dealing with techniques for improving low-powered radio communications and the interface between radio and visual signing modes of communication. Studies were conducted both in laboratory and in-situ research vehicles. Topics investigated were language style of radio messages; the effects of order of message elements and message load on recall of specific elements; the types of route-following errors committed with internally and successively redundant audio messages; the effects of the complexity of a diversion route on success in route following from radio instructions; a comparison of success in route following with visually-coded trail blazers and with radio route guidance; the message design of an advance road sign to direct drivers to tune their radios for traffic information; and a survey of descriptors employed by local residents in describing to visitors a diversion route around an incident.
- See also Volume 14, PB81-173734.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Huchingson, R D
- Koppa, R J
- Dudek, C L
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Pagination: 325 p.
- TRT Terms: Communication; Communication systems; Design; Driver information systems; Drivers; Freeways; Guidelines; Human factors; Human factors engineering; Information display systems; Radio; Real time control; Real time data processing; Reviews; Route guidance; Traffic control; Traffic signals; Traffic signs; Vision
- Old TRIS Terms: Display devices; Displays; Traffic sign design; Visual communication
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00328988
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-78- 17 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8505
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM