HUMAN FACTORS REQUIREMENTS FOR REAL-TIME MOTORIST INFORMATION DISPLAYS. VOLUME 11. HUMAN FACTORS EVALUATION OF ROUTE DIVERSION AND GUIDANCE VARIABLES
The document summarizes the laboratory research findings in nine topic areas dealing with message design criteria associated with route diversion and guidance. Several of the studies were replicated in different regions of the United States. The research objectives dealt with issues of content, format, and associated understanding of messages to be displayed both on static signs and changeable message signs (CMS). Among the issues explored were advanced signing upstream of an advisory CMS for diversion; understanding of major point diversion sign coding; the content and format of the advisory CMS message for diversion and secondary verbal messages for route assurance; the meaning conveyed by names given to the diversion route; techniques for guidance to multiple destinations and major generators and for guidance when the driver has passed the correct turn; and, finally, regional differences in names for frontage roads and freeways going around or to one side of a city.
- See also Volume 12, PB81-173718.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Huchingson, R D
- Dudek, C L
- Edwards, M L
- Koppa, R J
- Publication Date: 1978-2
- Pagination: 300 p.
- TRT Terms: Communication; Design; Driver information systems; Drivers; Freeways; Guidelines; Human factors; Human factors engineering; Information display systems; Radio; Real time control; Real time data processing; Reviews; Route guidance; Traffic control; Traffic signals; Traffic signs; Variable message signs; Vision
- Old TRIS Terms: Display devices; Displays; Traffic sign design; Visual communication
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00328986
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-78- 15 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-11-8505
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM