HUMAN FACTORS REQUIREMENTS FOR REAL-TIME MOTORIST INFORMATION DISPLAYS. VOLUME 10. HUMAN FACTORS EVALUATION OF TRAFFIC STATE DESCRIPTOR VARIABLES
The document summarizes the laboratory research findings in eight topic areas dealing with message design criteria associated with traffic state descriptors. Several of the studies were replicated in different regions of the United States. The research objectives dealt with issues of content, format and associated understanding of messages. Among the issues explored were minimum traffic state information requirements; traffic state descriptors; traffic state coding; location and length of congestion; lane blockage descriptors; incident types; and temporal information.
- See also Volume 11, PB81-173700.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Dudek, C L
- Huchingson, R D
- Koppa, R J
- Edwards, M L
- Publication Date: 1978-2
- Pagination: 352 p.
- TRT Terms: Communication; Design; Driver information systems; Drivers; Freeways; Guidelines; Human factors; Human factors engineering; Information display systems; Radio; Real time control; Real time data processing; Reviews; Traffic control; Traffic signals; Traffic signs; Vision
- Old TRIS Terms: Display devices; Displays; Traffic sign design; Visual communication
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00328985
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-78- 14 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-11-8505
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 21 1981 12:00AM