AN EXAMINATION OF LEGAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE ACTIONS TAKEN AGAINST AT-FAULT DRIVERS INVOLVED IN FATAL TRAFFIC CRASHES
An exploratory study was made of the legal and administrative actions taken against at-fault drivers who survived fatal traffic crashes in Michigan in 1972. The purpose of the study was to assess the ability of centrally maintained traffic records to provide data on the frequency of charging and sanctioning at-fault drivers. The study revealed that in Michigan, for the year 1972, the centrally maintained records were inadequate, apparently because of the failure of the courts to report the disposition of cases. The review of accident reports, locally maintained records, and central criminal records resulted in the estimates that: approximately one driver in four who was involved in a fatal crash could have been charged with a felony (manslaughter or negligent homicide); only one in twelve was actually charged; only one in twenty-four convicted of a felony; and of those convicted, only half had their convictions entered on their driving records. Most of the drivers in fatal crashes were summoned for reexamination by the driver license authority.
- Sponsored in part by Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association of the United States, Incorporated.
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI USA 48109
Washington, DC USA 20590
- JOSCELYN, K B
- Ruschmann, P A
- POLLOCK, W T
- Publication Date: 1978-6-30
- Pagination: 119 p.
- TRT Terms: Drivers; Fatalities; Jurisprudence and judicial processes; Law enforcement; Liability; Penalties; Records management; Traffic conviction; Traffic courts; Traffic crashes; Traffic law enforcement
- Uncontrolled Terms: Convictions; Motor vehicle accidents; Records
- Geographic Terms: Michigan
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Law; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor;
- Accession Number: 00328854
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UM-HRSI-78-27 Final Rpt., HS-805 631
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-4-00937
- Files: HSL, NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 15 1982 12:00AM