RAIL-HIGHWAY CROSSING WARNING DEVICE LIFE CYCLE COST ANALYSIS
The Highway Safety Acts of 1973 and 1976, and the Surface Transportation Assistance Act of 1978 provide funds to individual states to improve safety at public rail-highway crossings. This report was undertaken in support of a U.S. DOT effort to improve the efficient allocation and use of these Federal funds. The report describes the results of a study designed to collect, analyze, and document life cycle costs of active rail-highway crossing warning devices. Life cycle costs were determined from information on installation costs contained in the final billings of rail-highway crossing improvement projects and from data on maintenance costs provided by various states, railroads, and railway associations. Life cycle costs were analyzed by cost components for each of the five Federal Railroad Administration regions. Cost components included pre-engineering, labor, material, and equipment rental costs as well as maintenance costs. Cost variability due to several factors such as number of tracks, crossing location, type of train detection system, and combinations of these variables was analyzed.
- Sponsored in part by Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC. Office of Research.
Input Output Computer Services, Incorporated400 Totten Pond Road
Waltham, MA USA 02154
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Washington, DC USA 20590
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Heisler, J
- Morrissey, J
- Publication Date: 1980-9
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Cost allocation; Costs; Federal aid; Federal assistance programs; Federal government; Government funding; Grade crossing protection systems; Life cycle analysis; Life cycle costing; Maintenance management; Multiple track; Proximity detectors; Railroad grade crossings; Regions; States; Track circuits; Traffic safety; Warning devices; Warning systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Fund allocations; Justification; Maintenance costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Allocations; Grade crossing protection; Presence detectors
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; I10: Economics and Administration; I61: Equipment and Maintenance Methods; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00328852
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-RRS-80-003 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1533
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM