PEDESTRIAN INJURY CAUSATION STUDY (PICS)
The TSR-PICS team completed in-depth investigations of 460 vehicle versus pedestrian accidents between April 1977 and June 1980. Eligible vehicles were passenger cars, vans and light-duty pickup trucks. Accidents were selected for in-depth investigation if they occurred during an on-call period of the systematic random sampling plan or if they resulted in a fatality. In addition, a data base was compiled that consisted of all (1,288) vehicle/pedestrian accidents that were eligible under the study definition of a pedestrian accident. The study area included the cities of Campbell, Cupertino, San Jose, Santa Clara and Sunnyvale, California. On-call field personnel were alerted to current accidents by a radio-pager system. Accidents that were missed by the routine notification system were discovered during follow-up checks of police-reported vehicle/pedestrian accidents and periodic reviews of injury accident listing in a county computer file.
- Portions of this document are not fully legible.
Traffic Safety Research Corporation1010 Corporation Way
Palo Alto, CA USA 94303
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Schmidt, D N
- Ravani, B
- Brougham, D
- Publication Date: 1980-8
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 123 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Crash causes; Crash investigation; Data collection; Injuries; Pedestrian vehicle interface; Pedestrian-vehicle crashes; Pedestrians; Pickup trucks; Sampling; Statistical sampling; Traffic conflicts; Traffic crashes; Trucks; Vans
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents
- Geographic Terms: California
- Old TRIS Terms: Pickups
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Motor Carriers; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Safety and Human Factors; I81: Accident Statistics;
- Accession Number: 00328844
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TSR-2105 Final Rpt., HS-805 650
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-7-01581
- Files: HSL, NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 15 1982 12:00AM