UTILIZATION OF FILTER FABRIC FOR STREAMBANK PROTECTION APPLICATIONS
A survey of literature, CE field offices, and filter fabric manufacturers was made to obtain published and unpublished information and case histories on the use of filter fabric as a component of streambank protection works. Properly selected and placed filter fabric may be considered as a substitute for part or all of a granular filter under revetment for situations where granular filter bedding materials are not readily available or cost-effective. Other possible uses also are described. Available information on the currently specified methods of placing filter fabric is provided and cautions concerning its use are emphasized. Filter fabrics should not be used in lieu of granular filters on soils having more than 85 percent of material by weight passing the No. 200 sieve or in high energy environments. A glossary of basic terminology and a bibliography of relevant literature are included. (Author)
Vicksburg, MS USA 39180
- Keown, M P
- Dardeau, EAJ
- Publication Date: 1980-7
- Pagination: 123 p.
- TRT Terms: Bank protection; Banks (Waterways); Case studies; Concrete; Erosion; Erosion control; Fabrics; Failure; Filter fabric; Filters; Protective coatings; Revetments; Reviews; Rocks; Scour; State of the art studies; Water; Waterways
- Old TRIS Terms: Filter materials; Protective coverings; Water filters
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Marine Transportation; Materials; I35: Miscellaneous Materials;
- Accession Number: 00328814
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: WES/TR/HL-80-12 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM