METHOD FOR ESTIMATING CRACK-EXTENSION RESISTANCE CURVE FROM RESIDUAL STRENGTH DATA
A method is presented for estimating the crack extension resistance curve (R curve) from residual strength (maximum load against initial crack length) data for precracked fracture specimens. The method allows additional information to be inferred from simple test results, and that information is used to estimate the failure loads of more complicated structures. Numerical differentiation of the residual strength data is required, and the problems that it may present are discussed.
Department of the NavyThe Pentagon
Washington, DC United States 20350
- Orange, T W
- Publication Date: 1980-11
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Cracking; Failure; Failure analysis; Fracture mechanics; Fracture properties; Loads; Numerical analysis; Structural analysis; Tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Crack propagation; Failure modes
- Subject Areas: Materials; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00328479
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-TP-1753, E-439
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM