DEVELOPMENT OF COMPLIANCE TEST FOR TRUCK REAR UNDERRIDE PROTECTION. VOLUME II - TECHNICAL REPORT
The objective of this program was to develop static and dynamic compliance test procedures for truck/trailer rear underride protection. A static test facility and dynamic test device along with appropriate compliance test procedures were developed to test and evaluate rigid and energy-absorbing velocity-sensitive underride guards. A truck body simulator was also developed to effectively model the rear of truck/trailer bodies for mounting of selected guards during testing. The dynamic test device is an energy-absorbing honeycomb-faced bogey vehicle which simulates the front load/deflection characteristics of a typical current large car. The report summarizes the highlights of the tests of current small and large car-to-current production guards, ten car-to-rigid guard tests to determine the effects of speed, guard height, car size, and impact mode on underride and occupant response, and two tests of a production energy-absorbing guard. Based on the results of the crash tests and engineering analyses, recommendations are presented for underride guard requirements and compliance test procedures.
- See also report dated September 1980, PB81-111890.
Dynamic Science1850 West Pinnacle Peak Road
Phoenix, AZ USA 85027
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Baczynski, R
- Davis, S
- Publication Date: 1980-8
- Pagination: 405 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceptance tests; Collisions; Crash injury research; Deflection; Dynamic tests; Energy absorbing materials; Impact tests; Loads; Protection; Research; Safety equipment; Simulation; Static tests; Traffic crashes; Trailers; Training simulators; Trucks; Underride override collisions
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents; Underride guards
- Old TRIS Terms: Energy absorbers
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Vehicles and Equipment; I95: Vehicle Inspection;
- Accession Number: 00328380
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: 8319-80-020A/1607 Final Rpt., HS-805 592
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-8-01905
- Files: HSL, NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 15 1982 12:00AM