THE FEASIBILITY OF RETROFITTING LIFTS ON COMMUTER AND LIGHT RAIL VEHICLES
The objectives of this study were to determine if lift retrofit applications to rail vehicles are technically feasible, and if so, the extent to which existing bus lift technology can be utilized. This report examines some of the technical issues associated with the retrofitting of lifts for elderly and handicapped passengers on light and commuter rail vehicles. There are four major sections to this report. The first section develops the inventory of light rail (LR) and commuter rail (CR) vehicles in the U.S. by number and type. It addresses the characteristics of rail vehicles that differentiate them from buses and makes preliminary indications of which vehicles might be preferable candidates for lift retrofits. The second section assesses the existing bus lift technology. Descriptions of lift designs and operation obtained from manufacturers are presented. The third major section of this report develops the interface requirements between lifts and vehicles based on existing vehicle characteristics and on lift kinematic concepts. The final section examines ancillary issues of lift retrofits on rail vehicles, such as ancillary hardware modifications, safety and liability concerns, and concerns about costs and sources of required funding.
Technology Research and Analysis Corporation2020 14th Street, North, Suite 400
Arlington, VA United States 22201
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- McInerney, F T
- Publication Date: 1980-9
- Pagination: 139 p.
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Aerodynamic lift; Aged; Commuter cars; Cost estimating; Estimates; Kinematics; Liability; Light rail vehicles; Passenger cars; Persons with disabilities; Reliability; Retrofitting; Safety; Specifications; Streetcars; Technology assessment; Urban transportation; Vehicle design; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lifts; Requirement
- Old TRIS Terms: Passenger car design
- Subject Areas: Design; Law; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00328364
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-80-39 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1711
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM