TAKLASTENS INVERKAN PA PERSONBILARS KOEREGENSKAPER (THE EFFECTS OF ROOF LOAD ON THE DRIVING CHARACTERISTICS OF PASSENGER CARS)
A study has been carried out at the National Swedish Road and Traffic Research Institute with the objective of determining the influence of the roof load on the driving characteristics of passenger cars. The study comprises a literature survey, a theoretical analysis by data simulation and experimental studies of the overturning risk, maneuverability and sensitivity to side-winds. The experimental studies have been carried out with the aid of a Volvo 142 having a load up to 120 kg on the roof rack or in the rear boot. The ratings of the overturning limit showed that the studied vehicle rather skids than overturns at large side accelerations on roads with normal friction conditions also when the heaviest roof load was tested. The literature survey has proved the need for more extensive studies especially regarding small vehicles and vehicles with limited roll stiffness.
- Text in Swedish. Abstract and Summary in English. Also pub. as ISSN-0347-6030.
Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute (VTI)Olaus Magnus vaeg 35
Linkoeping, Sweden SE-581 95
- MAGNUSSON, G
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 108 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Loads; Maneuverability; Roofs; Safety; Skid resistance; Wind
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00328339
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: VTI-172
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM