ATGAERDER MOT SNOE- OCH ISHALKA PROBLEMANALYS, KUNSKAPSOEVERSIKT OCH BEHOV AV FOU (MEASURES AGAINST SKIDDING ON ICY AND SNOWY ROADS. PROBLEMS ANALYSIS, REVIEW OF THE PRESENT STATE OF KNOWLEDGE AND NEED FOR R AND D)
Ice and snow on roads and streets cause problems for the road user. To reduce these problems the body responsible for the road has recourse to snow-clearing and various de-icing methods (Salting and sanding). The Swedish Road and Traffic Research Institute (VTI) has been commissioned by the National Road Administration (VV) to carry out various investigations of the effects of salting and sanding on carriageway friction, road safety, trafficability, vehicle costs and environment. In view of the fact that the research and development work in progress is done by stages over a period of several years and that the research being done by the VTI deals with a limited part of a greater whole, the Institute has been instructed to try to summarize the problems related to skidding and to give a wider perspective on the research in progress. The purpose of the work has been to analyze the problem of skidding in terms of preventive measures; to report on the present state of knowledge and on the research and development work going on; and to recommend additional R&D efforts being undertaken wherever such efforts are deemed necessary.
- Text in Swedish. Abstract in English. Also pub. as ISSN-0347-6030.
Linkoeping UniversityLinkoeping, Sweden
- CARLSSON, G
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 80 p.
- TRT Terms: Cost estimating; Deicing; Estimates; Friction; Ice; Research; Roads; Sand; Skid resistance; Snow; Snow removal; Sodium chloride; Streets; Traffic safety
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research;
- Accession Number: 00328321
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: VTI-182
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM