INVERKAN AV STENMATERIALETS KVALITET OCH AV KLIMATET PA ASFALTBELAEGGNINGAR AV TYP MAB25T OCH HAB16T (EFFECTS OF AGGREGATE QUALITY AND CLIMATE ON SURFACINGS OF DENSE-GRADED ASPHALTIC CONCRETE MAB25T AND HAB16T)
In order to clarify the effect of aggregate quality and climate on pavement wear two test roads were constructed, one in central Sweden (province of Dalarna) and one outside Gothenburg. Local aggregates from both places were used in the surfacings, which were of the dense-graded asphaltic concrete types HAB16T (maximum particle size 16 mm) and MAB25T (maximum particle size 25 mm). Measurements of wear and friction were carried out together with traffic counts. The results show that surfacings of aggregates (granite) from Gothenburg were worn 1.5-2 times more than the surfacings of aggregates (porphyre) from Dalarna. The effect of climate was in Gothenburg 1.7 times the effect in central Sweden during the first winter period. This effect successively decreased to 1.1 times during the fourth winter period. The friction shows a slight seasonal dependence, with maximum value during the spring. The lowest values were obtained in Gothenburg during summer and in Dalarna during summer or autumn. In Dalarna the friction increased during the winter season. No marked relationships were established between friction and pavement wear or between friction and climate.
- Text in Swedish. Abstract and Summary in English. Also pub. as ISSN-0347-6030.
Linkoeping UniversityLinkoeping, Sweden
- Lilja, B
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 60 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Durability tests; Friction factor; Pavements; Seasons; Trafficability; Wear
- Uncontrolled Terms: Seasonal variations
- Geographic Terms: Sweden
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00328320
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: VTI-162
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Apr 15 1981 12:00AM