STUDIER AV HALKA PA VAEGAR (STUDIES OF SLIPPERINESS ON ROADS)
The main project involves micro and mesoclimatological investigations on roads for detection of road sections with high frequency of slipperiness. The results are partly to be of direct assistance to maintenance authorities, partly to give information on siting ice-warning devices. When performing measuring trips for road climatological investigations the cars used have been equipped with instruments for registration of air temperature on two levels and air humidity. The possibility of using thermal infrared scanning for detection of road surface temperature has also been discussed. In connection with meteorological situations an unprejudiced analysis of different kinds of slipperiness on roads was made. The investigation includes a discussion of factors involved in different ice formation processes and parameters possible to record. Twenty-four different situations with coating of ice, rime, snow, slush and sleet were found. Finally some ideas are given of what parameters should be recorded in slipperiness warning systems.
- Text in Swedish.
Goeteborg Univ, Sweden,
- Lindqvist, S
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Highway transportation; Highways; Humidity; Ice formations; Maintenance; Measurement; Roads; Skid resistance; Temperature; Warning systems; Weather stations
- Old TRIS Terms: Infrared scanners
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00328283
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: GUNI-12
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Mar 12 1981 12:00AM