THE TROLLEY COACH: POTENTIAL MARKET, CAPITAL AND OPERATING COSTS, IMPACTS AND BARRIERS. TASK 2 REPORT FOR THE ELECTRIC TROLLEY BUS FEASIBILITY STUDY
This Task 2 report contains a summary of the Task 1 report (PB80-104870) and an examination of the potential market for trolley coach (TC) systems in the United States. TC capital and operating costs are estimated, and the impacts of TC transportation on land use, community aesthetics, and energy consumption are described. In this report, potential barriers to TC expansion are identified and possible UMTA policies are discussed. Some of the conclusions stated in this report are that: improvements in TC technology such as chopper control reduces power consumption 20 percent and provides a smoother ride quality; cost of overhead wire installation is the most significant barrier to new TC systems; there is a definite advantage to TC expansion in terms of long term flexibility of energy source use, and long term reliability of energy supply; and UMTA should maintain a basically neutral position on TC expansion--initiative for such expansion should originate at the local level.
- See also Task 1 Report, PB80-104870.
Chase Rosen and Wallace, Incorporated901 North Washington Street
Alexandria, VA United States 22314
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Wilkins, J D
- Schwartz, A
- PARKINSON, T E
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Pagination: 87 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Bus routes; Buses; Costs; Electric vehicles; Environmental impacts; Market research; Technology assessment; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Finance; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00328271
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-06-0193-79-2
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-80037
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 12 2003 12:00AM